The type or namespace name 'FtpClient' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Net'

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I've tried using this library in two projects, one a Console App and the other a Winforms app. Both allow me to reference the System.Net.FtpClient assembly.  I can reference it in my using statement and intellisense works during design. But when I try to compile, I get the error,

'Error 1 The type or namespace name 'FtpClient' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Net' (are you missing an assembly reference?)'

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I had to reference the full .NET Framework as opposed to the Client Profile. Issue resolved

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:11 PM

You can also change the profile of the ftp.client project to Client Profile. You have to remove the HttpUtility.UrlDecode references. But then it will compile.

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2012 at 3:14 PM

If you do this you loos the URI functionality. HttypUtility.Decode is used to decode pieces of the URI passed in to the static methods that accept URI's. This may or may not be an issue for you, just worth noting.

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Edited Jan 21, 2014 at 9:03 PM
I tried adding System.Net as well but keep receiving this message.
I am developing a console application using FtpClient V.14.01.07 with .NetFramework 4 (VS 2010) Any suggestions?
Coordinator
Jan 25, 2014 at 1:38 PM
The namespace is System.Net.FtpClient, the class is System.Net.FtpClient.FtpClient. See the examples.
Jan 25, 2014 at 3:43 PM
Thanks JpTrosclair,

I figured out the source of my problem.
I was building my solution on ".Net Framework 4 Client Profile" as Target Framework. It should be changed to ".Net Framework 4 Client Profile" and the problem is gone now.